Astoria Greengrass was a character we never really got to know. This is because her first appearance was during the Epilogue of the Deathly Hallows Part 2, and her demise was off-screen and only talked about briefly during the live-action performance of The Cursed Child.
Therefore, we only had a short amount of time to get to know her. What we did find out is that Astoria Greengrass, also known as Astoria Malfoy, was a British Pure-blood witch who was born to the Greengrass family in 1982.
Her family was one of the Sacred-Twenty-Eight. She attended school at the same time as her later-to-be husband, Draco Malfoy, although she was two years below him. Her older sister Daphne was the one who was in Draco’s year at school, so I found it surprising when I learned down the line that Draco ended up marrying Astoria.
The two went on to have their son, Scorpius Malfoy. She would later pass away when Scorpius was a teenager, which I will talk about in more detail later on.
Astoria Greengrass Quick Facts
|September 1981 – August 1982
|Death Date [if applicable]
|Age When Series Starts
|Partner / Spouse
|Most Memorable Moment
|Standing on the platform, waving Scorpius off to Hogwarts with her husband, Draco.
|Actors Who Played
|Jade Olivia – Deathly Hallows Part 2, Epilogue
Astoria Greengrass Birthplace
As it was never revealed where exactly Astoria was born, I cannot say for sure.
Astoria Greengrass Parents
Once again, little information was ever told by J. K.Rowling about the upbringing of Astoria and her sister Daphne. Her family was known for their ideals of Pure-blood Supremacy, so I would have presumed that the sisters were also brought up with these same values.
Astoria Greengrass Physical Traits
We only get to see Astoria in the closing Epilogue of The Deathly Hallows Part 2. She is shown to be standing side-by-side with her husband Draco and her son Scorpius.
She is depicted as having long dark, perhaps black hair, fair skin, and delicate features. She is a beautiful woman and looks like the kind of person I probably would have imagined to end up being the wife of Draco Malfoy.
Astoria Greengrass Early Life
As I have already stated, there is very little about Astoria Greengrass. All we have ever been told is that she had an older sibling, Daphne, two years older than her. Her family believed in Pure-blood Supremacy and likely bought the girls up to follow the same beliefs. We also never get to find out how close the sisters were to each other and whether or not they got on well together.
We know that Astoria knew from an early age that she was cursed. An ancestor of hers had, at some point, had a curse placed on them. This meant that Astoria was going to die at an early age. We don’t know at precisely what point Astoria discovered this tragic news about what was in store for her. I would imagine this was very hard for Astoria to deal with, especially after the birth of her son. She knew that the time would come when she would have to leave Scorpius motherless.
Astoria Greengrass Hogwarts Years
As we never got to see Astoria in her school years, little is known about her life at Hogwarts because she was two years younger than the main characters.
Astoria attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry between 1993 and 2000. I believe that she was, at some point, present during the Battle of Hogwarts, though we never saw her on screen, and she was never mentioned in the books. Due to her young age at the time of the battle, I would have thought she would have been evacuated from the school for her safety.
We also never actually found out what house Astoria was sorted into. I have always presumed that she was placed in Slytherin due to her family history. She married Malfoy, but this was never actually stated anywhere in the stories or by J. K. Rowling herself.
After the war, I think Astoria’s outlook on life changed for the better. She realized that her family’s beliefs in blood purity were irrelevant. After she had witnessed it, she no longer wished to support her family’s ideologies.
Astoria Greengrass After Hogwarts Years
After Hogwarts, there isn’t much information regarding what Astoria did with her life outside of school. All we do know is that she went on to marry Draco Malfoy, and together they had one son. I believe it was essential to Astoria that she bore at least one child so that her husband would not be left alone after her imminent passing. We look more into their marriage and their son further down.
Astoria passed away during Scorpius’s third year at school. This was due to the toll the curse had taken upon her. I think that although Draco and Scorpius knew that this day would come, they were still never fully prepared for the heartbreak that they would experience.
Astoria Greengrass Family
Astoria married Draco Malfoy somewhere between the years 2000 and 2005. This was not welcomed by Draco’s Death Eater parents, Lucius and Narcissa. They were disapproving of the relationship from the start. This was because of her newfound views on life and lack of interest in their beliefs. This made for some incredibly awkward and tense family gatherings.
Astoria was incredibly proud of her husband, who went ahead and chose to stay with Astoria despite his parents’ disapproval. Later in life, she told Scorpius that this was one of the bravest things she had ever seen. I think Scorpius has a lot of respect for his father and laid the groundwork for how to treat and judge other people.
Not many years into her marriage to Draco, I think that Astoria had started to come to terms with the fact that the curse on her meant she might not have much longer to live, especially as she was now beginning to become a lot frailer. One thing she wanted to make sure of before she passed away was that she had at least one child so that after she was gone, her husband would not be left alone.
Astoria soon became pregnant around 2004-2005, and the pregnancy took its toll on her physical health. She became fragile, and after the birth of Scorpius, the family had to go into seclusion. I think this led to the rumors that began to circulate that Astoria may have used a Time-Turner to travel back in time to conceive a baby with Lord Voldemort. These rumors affected Scorpius at school, and he was often taunted about this.
I think that perhaps, deep down, Scorpius also may have believed himself on the occasion that he was the son of the Dark Lord.
When Scorpius was born, Astoria decided she would never teach her son about the Pure-blooded beliefs that all Muggles were dirt and not worthy of being in the Wizarding World.
Astoria waved Scorpius off on the platform of Kings Cross Station when he left to begin his first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, loading him up with candy.
Astoria Greengrass Magical Abilities and Special Skills
Because we never actually got to see Astoria’s school years or learned anything of her life at school. We never found anything about her magical abilities or what kind of wand she used.
Astoria Greengrass Wand
We were never informed of what wand Astoria used during her school years or in adult life.
Astoria Greengrass Trivial and Fun Facts
- During the Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Draco could have used the Time-Turner to go back in time and see his wife. Still, knowing the damage this could cause to reality, he resisted the temptation.
- Astoria is actually the only character shown during the Epilogue whom Harry, Ron, and Hermione do not know. They know who Scorpius is and maybe have an awareness of Astoria or saw her around. Still, they only refer to her as “Draco’s wife.” I don’t think they actually knew who she was until she was married to Draco.
- Despite Astoria’s sister, Daphne, being in the same year as Draco, who was a main character throughout the series, we never actually got to see either of them in the movies and only briefly heard Daphne mentioned in one of the books, The Order of The Phoenix.
- Astoria is plated by actress Jade Olivia in the epilogue scene of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. During this time, Jade was actually the real-life girlfriend of Tom Felton, who played Draco Malfoy.
- The name Greengrass could be referring to the primary color of Slytherin House along with the common saying “a snake in the grass” because, as we know, the emblem of Slytherin is a snake. This is ironic because this phrase usually refers to a person who is not trustworthy, sneaky, nasty, or disloyal; Astoria does not show any signs of any of these traits.
Astoria Greengrass Appearances in Books
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Epilogue
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
Astoria Greengrass Appearances in Films
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Epilogue – Nineteen Years Later
Astoria Greengrass Quotes
- Astoria said this to Scorpius when he was boarding the Hogwarts Express for the first time in 2017. This turned out to be entirely accurate, as once on board the train, Scorpius shared his sweets with Albus, and from there on, they became good friends.
“Sweets, they always help you make friends.”
Astoria Greengrass Frequently Asked Questions
Answer: Throughout his teenage years, Draco was in a relationship with a witch named Pansy Parkinson. Apparently, J. K. Rowling hated the kind of girl this character represented, referring to her as the “anti-Hermione.” She said that this kind of girl reminded her of the people who used to bully her at school. Therefore I think she probably thought this sort of character didn’t deserve to be written into the finale of the series.
Answer: It is never mentioned by J. K. Rowling whether or not Daphne also carried the curse of the ancestors. There were certainly no signs of it shown during her early adult life if she did.
Answer: Harry Potter and his friends never had any interactions with Astoria throughout their school life. I don’t think Harry knew who she was until the final epilogue, where he then recognized her only as Draco’s wife.
- Writing by J. K. Rowling: “Draco Malfoy” at Wizarding World
- TIME magazine – JK Rowling answers 10 questions about Harry
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Epilogue (Nineteen Years Later)
- Potter cast Interview
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child – The Play
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child – Screen Write